Festivals are a feature of all major religions and it is same for Sikkim too!
Every festival of Sikkim signifies its culture as well as rituals of local people. Red Panda Festival is one of the most iconic one among them.
So, let’s have a look to know briefly
Red Panda Winter Carnival Festival is a Mega-tourism festival of Sikkim which is celebrated for 10 days each year in January. This initiative is undertaken by the Govt. of Sikkim to showcase Sikkim’s diverse culture, traditions, customs, cuisines, bio-diversity, history, and lifestyle.
Preparations of these grand days in advance with streets getting a makeover and proper infrastructure to avoid any inconvenience for visitors! Amazing, no?
It’s Major Attraction!!
Have a look at the major attractions of Red Panda Festival-
- Carnival Parade
- Red Panda International Open Rock Contest
- Eco Adventure Sports
- Red Panda Riders Meet
- Traditional Food Fest
- Art & Photo Exhibition
- Cultural Extravaganza/Musical Nights/DJ Nights
- Mass Congregation of Guitarists
- Fashion Show
- Organic products exhibition cum sale
- Martial Arts Demonstrations & Yoga
An Insight into Its Rich History
The festival was first launched in the year 2013 by the State Tourism Department which is named after the exotic Red Panda showcases a unique blend of cultural displays under one roof.
Duration of the Festival
Since it’s a winter festival, dates for the same, the 10-day long carnival, mostly held at the Titanic Park of MG Marg in Gangtok.
Hold, something more is waiting for you…
While this festive season is a great time for any kind of a traveler to plan his/her holiday tour to Gangtok at a budget-friendly package, it is by far the best for adventure seekers to enjoy several activities like-
- Mountain Biking
- River Rafting
- and Paragliding
The user also read: 7 backpacking destinations around the world for ultimate adventure
Significance of this festival
- The aim of the festival is to revive and protect the rich culture of Sikkim from the evil power.
- Another main aspect is to promote the growing Organic Culture in Sikkim.
- The festival is particularly designed to offer tourists the opportunity to witness the local culture, traditions, dance, music, food, etc and at the same time will provide the locals with the opportunity to showcase the traditions.
While there are many festivals that Sikkim celebrates every year, Red Panda Festival provides you with some of the most unique moments which you must definitely experience. So, plan a trip to Sikkim, head to Gangtok and witness this festival for a heartwarming experience!